Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cranberry Cake Recipe

My latest and most recent favorite recipe would come from a darling little cookbook from a tiny little rural school in WY. I just happen to know the writer of the recipe too. She's a very dear, very feisty, kick butt Rancher/Ranch wife in you guessed it WY. Oh yeah she's a close friend of mine which could be because she's Cowboy's Aunt and kinda unbiological Mom. Thank You Jodi.

Do not go running away scared because this recipe is about Cranberries.

I know I know, they are tart and cause funny faces and tingles on the pallet, but surprisingly for the amount of them in this recipe it's not a pucker up your lips and give you the shivers type of taste. It's sweet and not overpowering and has just a kick of the tart when you need it to keep this from being too overly sweet. You know what I'm trying to say here, come on, I'm not a culinary writer.

So, since Thanksgiving is a week away this would be ideal for say breakfast, or the munchy table for your guests to munch on while waiting for you to hurry up and make the gravy so they can eat. It's more along the lines of a coffee cake than and actual cake cake so I think a fork is optional here.

I just served it with Coffee out in the barn to the guys working this weekend and didn't even individualy plate. Just cut it in bars and take a plate out to the fellas. I love finger foods, less dishes for me..YEA!

Alrighty, enough chit chat...here ya go. Don't be scared, Cowgirl Up and give it a try!

Cranberry Cake

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter (softened)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups ground cranberries ( buy a bag of fresh cranberries in the produce section and grind them in the food processor)

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Beat eggs with sugar till slightly thickened and light in color. Add the butter and vanilla and mix some more till well combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour until just combined. Stir in the cranberries.

(the whole bag of cranberries ground gave me about 3 cups, we like cranberries so I added them all, if you don't want the extra cranberry flavor just add the 2.5 cups)

Spread the batter into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool and serve as is or top with whipped cream or this is one you can really experiment with and see what a good topper is. I think a little drizzle of a powder sugar glaze would be good on this as well.

Enjoy! I fully intend to be munching of this with a big ole cup of coffee while watching the Macy's Parade on Turkey Day.

Much Love,

Hooah!
Cowgirl Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment