Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to School



Summer break is officially over. My big little went back to school today.

It's hard to believe that he's in second grade already. But, time does go by. This is my last year having my middle little home, this time next year he'll be climbing on the bus with his big brother and off to kindergarten. That will also be the beginning of one of the biggest challenges of my life thus far. Because next July or August my darling roughrider cowboy will be deploying for at least a year.

I'm at a point that I know the time line for that dreaded farewell and can't help but wonder am I prepared and what do I need to do to better prepare myself?

Oh, I know the basics. I know the paper work and business aspects of it, but it's been five years since I've been a married single mom, and I know I'll be fine, but what can I do to try and make the situation easier on my children. Kids are stronger and smarter than we give them credit for, and my little herd of cowboys are troopers. So, I figure at least we are lucky enough to have a rather large advance notice and make the best of the next year and enough memories and bonding to hold us through the separation of daddy being an American soldier and off fighting bad guys.

I am such a sap. I sit on the front step while my oldest cowboy baby waits for the bus. He's got his new school cloths on, probably the last time I'll see his jeans so pretty and new, give it a few weeks and the knees will be faded and I'll be continuing on the endless battle of removing grass stains, mud and markers. I look at him standing at the end of the driveway, all excited to be back and looking forward to 4H and wrestling. His backpack on his back and kicking at the dirt driveway with what started out as shiny new sneakers. The bus pulls up, Mark (the farmer bus driver) says a few things smiling at my boy, waves to me and off they go down the road.

Cough! Cough! Choke!

Sorry, I live on a dirt ride and it is crazy dry and windy so I just got plowed with a dust cloud. There he goes, I have to share my boy with the public school system yet again. Sigh! Sneeze!

What's waiting for me inside, once they wake up that is, is a 4 yr old (my middle little) whose world is not a happy place because he lost his play buddy and is going through the I'm too little for everything roughness of life and a spunky 16 month old who really is too little but everyone except him knows that. Deep Breath! First day is always the toughest for all. Lets find something creative and fun to distract middle little from peering out the picture window waiting for brother to come home.

Is it 4 o'clock yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment