Monday, July 28, 2008

Beef, it's what I'm making for dinner. A recipe too.

Of course I'm cooking beef. What did you expect, don't answer that.

Since, bless the big guy above, I've got an abundant amount of beef in my freezer from our local meat locker. You betcha! No buying beef from a grocery store here. I can tell you who owned the cows too. I love it here and not wondering where my food's from.

Anywho... sorry sidetracked again.

I've gotten a bit creative on what to do with roasts. Don't get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong with the typical roast with onion soup mix cooked with potatoes, carrots and onions. I do make that. But, I do get in a rut of being tired of the same ole thing all the time.

You see, I'm feeding a family of five here, four of which are males, which means our meals are very manly man's food. Meat and potatoes, stick to your ribs type food. Don't be adding any funky herbs and frilly sides. Even pasta is limited to spaghetti and manicotti, which has to have a meat in the sauce. Occasionally I can slip in alfredo but not more frequently that about twice a year. So, I decided lets experiment a little. And One of the creations is... Rojo Beef.

Why Rojo you ask...I'm so glad you asked. Because Rojo is Spanish for Red (thank you Dora and Diego) and it's a Mexican influenced shredded beef and it's Red, well the meat isn't because it is fully cooked, but the sauce with shredded bits of bovine goodness are

Now, I feel the need to give a disclosure before I continue...this recipe is spicy. My household loves spicy food. I'm sure it can be toned down, I've just never tried it and I personally think the heat is part of the pizazz of it. This has become a quick favorite here.


*I usually start this cooking around lunchtime to have it ready for dinner.

Rojo Beef


1 large roast or brisket (cut into two or three pieces) , pick your preference...just adjust time for tougher meat

Place the roast in a large pot with a lid on the stove, cover the roast with water

add to the pot with the roast and water...
1 small can of tomato paste,
3 cloves garlic,minced or 1 heaping teaspoon of the already chopped stuff,
1 cup of salsa (whatever you have in the fridge).
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 -2 whole dried chili peppers ( this makes it pretty darn spicy, removing the seeds mellows it some)

Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a constant fast simmer with the lid on. Let the bugger cook and cook till it easily shredded with a fork. Watch your liquid that it doesn't boil out.

Remove the roast from the liquid and shred with 2 forks. Reserve some of the sauce if you want more on your tortillas.

We eat this yummy creation of mine (pat myself on the back) on tortillas with cheese. Sour cream if super spicy. A side of red beans and rice goes great with it. Experiment how you eat it, I just provided the platform for your burritos.

Now run and grab yourself a glass of Sangria or a Corona and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment