Monday, July 21, 2008

The Perfect Pie Crust



Since it's becoming that time of year when all the good fresh fruits are readily available I though it would be a good time to share my perfect pie crust recipe.

For years I've been fighting with pie crusts. Do you use lard, butter or shortening...vinegar or no vinegar, does all the ingredients have to be cold etc. Also, since I like to make apple dumplings in advance and freeze them individually so year round I can pull them out and just bake them I need a pie crust that freezes beautifully..... Bingo... freezes great, works wonderfully with custard and fruit pies and it's flaky...kinda like me.

Ingredients
( makes enough dough for: 1 two crust pie ,2 single crust pies, or 8 dumplings)


3 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 cups shortening ( I know it's terrible but for once butter isn't better, I use Crisco)

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg

5 Tablespoons cold water

1 Tablespoon white vinegar


Mix together the flour & salt. Blend in the shortening either with a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingertips until it looks like a course crumb mixture.

Mix together the egg, water and vinegar and Pour into the crumby flour mixture. and blend well.

Divide the dough into 2 balls. Place in separate zip lock bags flatten a bit...refrigerate for about 15 minutes just to set it up some and make it easier to roll, or refrigerate or freeze for a while till you need them.

Once dough is removed from fridge, place on floured surface and lightly flour the top of the dough and roll out to the size you need for your pie pan.

Bake as recipe calls for.






No comments:

Post a Comment